Friday, October 26, 2007

Some Administration


Well every so often I feel compelled to tie up loose ends.

In response to the Lt's suggestion, I've gone through my personal postcard collection to dig out postcards suitable for framing (as previously discussed). So far I have postcards from: Wisconsin, Florida, North Carolina, and West Virginia. Which means I still need 46, from various states to include: Virginia, where I now live, Pennsylvania, where I used to live, and New Mexico, where my brother lives. So, readers, if you'd like to send a postcard, I'd be happy to repay you! E-mail me for address. What I'd like is a card that features the state name on the front, and preferably has some typical item pictured. For example: my Florida postcard (courtesy of the Lt.) says: Greetings from FLORIDA, and has an alligator on it. Also, please note that although the Widge has some very fine cards (from Tennessee and New Mexico, among others), they don't count, because they belong to him, and I'd like this project to be part of my collection. Otherwise when he goes to college, I'd have to take his cards from their lovely frames and give them back.

In other news, the venerable Manganese Fork noted that the quality of posts has gone down. I personally think it fluctuates based on various factors including amount of sleep, and occurrence of humorous incidents. Regarding my one-line note about the Tech game: its not a football blog. And while I am a fan of the Boy, I'm not necessarily a Tech fan, so although I watched their tragic game last night, it wasn't because I cared if they won, it was in hopes of seeing the Boy, preferably on the field. Keep in mind that Tech games are sources of deep conflict for me: while I hope for the team to rise to heights of glory (only surpassed by my beloved Nittany Lions), thus sweeping the Boy into a world of accolades and big, tacky, pimped-out rings, I also know that every single game means I have to go feed, water, and let out that annoying dog, the one who lives at my parents house. This morning, for example, I had to hustle out of bed at 7:30 to dash over and release the hound, so I wouldn't have to clean the floor like last time, then dash back to resume parenting so that husband could get to work on time. Its even more fun when I take the Widge over, because I find myself yelling things like: "just go out! Out! No, not you, you stay in: it's too wet. Not for you: you go out! No, don't let him back in because he didn't even pee! Wait! You can't go out!" and other things that show the high caliber of my fancy degree. Anyway, Mr. Fork: just be delighted that I cheer for you and hope for your success, and even endure the odd colors of your team in your honor. I'm never going to love Tech more than Dear Old State, sorry.

And Matt: its truly sad that this is the premiere knit blog in your world. Go see Mason Dixon Knitting. I also like Knit and Tonic, and although she no longer posts there, Eunny Jang has some stunning knits on her old site. I mean really, amazingly, fantastic for hand-knits.

For those of you who don't care for actually knitting, but appreciate some serious humor, see Threadbared, which also won't be adding new posts, and The Museum of Kitschy Stitches. Certainly they'll change your image of the quiet grandma-crafter.

Speaking of knitting, there hasn't been much lately, because my arm hurts from the typing. Most of you know that I type with only one hand, which, though fast and totally functional for me, doesn't lend itself to good ergonomic practices. The knitting I have done is for gifts and therefore not suitable for posting. But my Newcomer's Club is starting a knitting group, and I'm one of the founding members, and, shockingly, the most experienced knitter, in spite of the fact that most other members are actual grandmothers. The group is called the Knit Wits. I'm sure you'll all have fun with that.

Photo is of last year's knit your bit scarf, with some creative modeling.

1 comment:

engineeredmadness said...

So I suppose you wouldn't mind a suitable New Mexico, Texas, Ohio and perhaps later an Alabama post card from me.
I have a feeling that I provided about half of your current postcards...