Tuesday, December 4, 2007

About Christmas Cards

See, there are folks who think that the cards are just a terrible marketing ploy by the stationary companies. If so, congrats to them. Other folks don't send cards because they're too busy, which often means that card-sending just isn't a priority. I personally think that once a year its a nice idea to send warm wishes to all the people I like, and the people the husband likes, and various and sundry relatives. If nothing else, it reminds them all that we're still around, and that we recall that they're still around. On that note: some of you maybe already have your cards. If not, they're on their way. Except for those of you who haven't given me your address yet. You know who you are. I know you're enjoying life, during this interim time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, that seems to be an extended party, full of shopping and food, and more food. But during all the revelry with loved ones please also cast a thought in our direction: we also care about you and would like to send happy thoughts in a tangible, old-fashioned, traditional manner, as is our custom.

Also, I feel a bit bad for posting a photo in which the Widge is so clearly unhappy. So here's one in which he's less unhappy:
I also appear, because I don't post many photos of me. I figure those of you who don't recall what I look like are probably better off, and yet I do post photos of innocent bystanders, so I feel obligated to post myself from time to time.

In regards to the poll, so far you all believe strongly in Santa, Dragons, and an afterlife. I think the common thread is good marketing. Certainly Santa has some great publicity: he is, after all, a television and movie star, featured in countless books, and he makes guest appearances on shows like any other celeb. Dragons too have had some very good coverage on screen, as well as in video games, books, legend, and even religion. The afterlife is pretty much a standard in our Judeo-Christian-type culture, although it too does well in television and movies, and there is a computer game (named, coincidently, Afterlife) devoted to the subject. But the real link may be that they've all appeared on the History Channel. Although aliens have too, and you seem to scoff at them. (who was it that believes in aliens? In some cases I can guess who believes in what, but in some cases I'm stumped.)

Three posts this month and only the 4th! What lucky blog-readers you are! There seems to be a flurry of blog-activity out there lately, I wonder why. Possibly the aliens have something to do with it.