Friday, August 17, 2007

Thinking about handwork

So I just got back from quilting class: it was a one-day hand quilting lesson, and I think it was pretty good. I've seen hand quilting how-tos in books, but I needed a real demonstration before I could mentally grasp the physics of it. Now I understand the principle, and its just a matter of practice.

So I came home, and immediately knit a few rows on my dishrag.

Knitting is the craft I've done the longest: probably about 17 years, off and on, so I feel most comfortable with it. Its become somewhat meditative, or at least it can be, depending on what I'm working on. The latest dishrag is a seed stitch pattern, my favorite stitch of all, because it makes a wonderful texture, but isn't complex. I've pulled this rag out and re-knit over and over, but that doesn't bother me, not like when I am piecing a quilt and realize I sewed a complex seam with no thread on my bobbin. For me, knitting is about the process, so in a way its very zen, except for when I start thinking about how I'll be using the finished item, which isn't very zen at all. In quilting, I' still looking for results, I'm still actively trying to achieve a desired result, and it can be stressful. I have to remind myself that a hobby shouldn't cause stress (I have a Widget for that). In knitting I feel like I can adjust as I go, and I'm not certain what I'll get until I get it. I can't say that I design knitted pieces, but I feel comfortable working with no design. My quilt class attendance is a step on the path toward making quilting that way: calm and comfortable, the old friend I can turn to when I'm cranky, the one that relaxes me. I try to ignore the technical requirements and just let the experience wash over me.

At least thats how I think about it in quiet moments.

No comments: