Sunday, August 19, 2007

Is it Sunday already?

actually all the days are the same for me, except that Sesame Street doesn't air on the weekend.

Just started a lengthy biography of Hemingway, who is, of course, my first love. Too soon to tell how it is, I'm only on page 17 out of 600. Some days all I want to do is read, and other days reading just isn't satisfying. No matter what book I come across, it isn't right. But I think I'm just edgy because I'm almost finished with a project: I quilted the entire table runner today, and it turned out very well, but I don't have enough fabric for binding, so I'm at a standstill.

Probably I should just go get some sleep.

Any recommendations of good books? (bearing in mind that I'm the sort of reader who likes Hemingway)

3 comments:

MnFork said...

Computer System Architecture by M. Morris Mano
or
PSpice for Basic Circuit Analysis
by Joseph G. Tront <-a friend of mine great fellow

why don't you write a book in the form of blog entrees about your life, each entree reflecting a different day and your feels on it-completely free form style

Unknown said...

So totally not a Hemingway-esq book, but I've been reading these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Case_Crime

Really fun pulp fiction stuff... very short, and very compact, which is just what I need on the road.

-As a side note, I went past the Trading Post/Restaurant where Hemingway wrote "The Old Man and the Sea", in western New Mexico, kinda near Albuquerque when I drove Route 66 last year.

Unknown said...

I thought of another book (author). I really enjoyed "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe as well as one he did called "Hooking Up", plus I have "The Right Stuff" which he wrote also in my "to read" pile (which is about 4 ft high and 80% nonfiction).

As for the the "New South" question, I'd say ask your husband, but I imagine geographers trained in the south are the only ones who hear about it ad nauseam. Without really getting into it, the New South are cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond, Raleigh, etc (and apparently Birmingham)that have (since the 50s/60s) seen an influx of population from the Northeast and Midwest due to the lack of traditional manufacturing/agricultural jobs and poor climate in those locations, and the good climate, cheap land, and growth of Finance, Insurance, and related growth of Service industries in these southern cites, which as a result are becoming more and more revitalized/cosmopolitan with the influx of new investment money and wealthy middle class population.

See the following for more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South