Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Deus ex Quilt

So I've been actually making progress on some quilting, and I'd post a pic, but my camera is in a box somewhere. But as I was working along, I thought to myself: self, should I be using this flammable adhesive spray right in front of the oven? And is this area sufficiently well ventilated?

And then I thought about quilt myths. I read recently in a quilt magazine that the ipod has been called one of the great quilting tools. I personally listen to my ipod while quilting. I know you can get knitting podcasts (www.knitpicks.com), and if there aren't quilt podcasts, there soon will be. But wait: isn't the stereotypical quilter a little old lady?! Thats right, and now legions of quilters are listening to the smooth sound of Laurence Welk while whipping up quilted tea cozies.

The most famous myth, however, is probably the one that quilters deliberately make mistakes because only God is perfect. Yes, I make deliberate mistakes, because I feel the Almighty might be threatened by my needlework. If not for those deliberate errors, guests would come to my house, see that table runner I just finished, and begin worshiping me as the Messiah. Quiltmakers are far too pious a group to allow that! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, if ever you see a truly perfect quilt, you know that it was, indeed, crafted by a Supreme Being, because all other quilters put in deliberate mistakes.

The blog title would suggest that I knit, and I do, but lately it hasn't been interesting. I've been knitting dishrags. Dishrags are great to knit, because they don't have to be in matching colors or any specific size. Plus they actually do something, instead of sitting in my craft box(es), forever, like almost every other item I knit.

No comments: