Monday, November 12, 2007

So unlike the Lt. and the Venerable Fork-Boy, I have not seen Across the Universe, and to be honest, I've been avoiding it a bit, because I'm a big Beatles fan, and I worry about what happens when other people fool around with the Beatles work. That Aerosmith version of "Come Together" is, for example, terrible in comparison with the original. I cannot understand why anyone would ever try to cover what is, in its original form, basically perfect.

However the Lt. was here this weekend and we had a real cultural exchange: I introduced him to the Wonder Pets, and he let me listen to the Across the Universe soundtrack. I must admit, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The Beatles are really a genre unto themselves, but this album actually highlights the vast array of musical styles they mastered. There's some interesting punk sounds, a bit of soul, and you can even hear a little country is you listen closely. Or maybe that's me. The point is: go buy the album, because Eddie Izzard's version of Mr. Kite is totally worth whatever they're charging. My other favorite: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." This version is so good, I think the Beatles would have recorded it this way, if they could have. Of course there are a lot of love songs because nobody wrote better romantic music than the Beatles. Seriously. I think that aspect gets lost in amongst their trippy rock and that Indian vibe, but they had some really lovely melodies, and very sweet lyrics. Sing "I Will" to your sweetheart some time.

Another plus: for those of you who can't deal with the extreme end of the Beatles sound, the Across the Universe album makes "Happiness is a Warm Gun," (one of my faves) and "I am the Walrus," more warm and fuzzy. No help for "Helter Skelter," but lets face it, Charles Manson pretty much destroyed any decent person's ability to really like that song anyway.

Of course my real recommendation: go buy every single Beatles album you can, and listen to them all. For about three weeks. Drink lots of coffee and think deep thoughts about the poetry of the lyrics. Make sure you get "Old Brown Shoe," "You Know my Name, Look up My Number," "I, Me, Mine," and "Don't Let Me Down." Listen closely to the fabulous and sadly under-noticed "Long, long, long," which is my very favorite Beatles song ever, better even than the medley on Abbey Road, which you should always listen to in order, and preferably loudly. And after you've marinated in the real thing for a while, then go listen to the Across the Universe soundtrack, and then write lengthy, authoritative reviews on your own blogs.

2 comments:

engineeredmadness said...

Hmmm... see, I told you the across the universe musics wasn't that bad. I hope you had a very happy birthday observed.

momk said...

When i said that the orginal of a song was the best i was hushed up as being old.