Friday, June 27, 2008

odds and ends

taking a moment to blog from Panera (aka my remote office). Not much blogging lately because: (a) I've actually been working a bit (!) and, (2) I have been involved in a long-term architectural project, related to the Widge. See, For quite some time I've run a sideline business of sand-castle-tower construction, specializing in towers shaped exactly like the buckets we got at Target. My towers have the low levels of structural integrity and surface tension that are prized among young boys and small plastic trucks alike. Recently, however, I have been contracted by a certain porcine client to build a sturdy home out of wooden blocks. I have, over the past week, constructed many elaborate dwellings for Mr. Pig, in a variety of styles: Greek Classic, Georgian (that one featured a cupola!), Italianate Villa, Modernest Egyptian, Cubist, Minimalist, etc. (yeah, I made up at least one of those titles to fit the structure at hand. But most of them are genuine architectural styles). Mr. Pig, however, is a bi partier, and has very destructive tendencies, which leads me to wonder whether the huffing wolf might have been framed. At any rate I can't complain too much, because through Mr. Pig I met Mr. Goat, who is apparently also in the market for a new estate, and just yesterday Mr. Pig had his friend (also Mr. Pig) around for a home tour, which may lead to a future contract. Mr. Pig has also set me up with the Living Room Municipal Works, and I've been constructing shelters for some of their prized trucks, including an ambulance, a combine harvester, and a loader. The trucks, like Mr. Pig, prefer a high-ceilinged, elaborately designed dwelling place, and I can confidently say that mine are the only firehouses that feature Greek columns and soaring arches. They're not especially sturdy structures, but the clients seem delighted, and I keep getting new building assignments ("Mom! Build house!")

Anyway, back to work. Somebody is watching Wall-E. Reviews later.

1 comment:

engineeredmadness said...

I was watching WALL-E and so was Stella