Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quilt!!

yeah, I'm a lazy blogger. But I do have a quilt to show you!
see, quilty goodness. Actually, in this photo, no real quilting exists. This is just the quilt top, and you can also see batting. Immediately after this photo was snapped I pinned the ayers together (there's a backing too, which you can't see because its underneath the batting), and then the actual quilting began. If you read any quilting magazines you begin to believe that all quilters have piles of quilt tops just hanging around, all non-challant. There seem to be vast numbers of historic quilt tops too, inherited from relatives who would rather die than actually quilt. Apparently if you do choose to quilt and bind an heirloom top, you will gain a functioning bed cover (or wallhanging or whatever you use quilts for) but you'll heavily diminish the monetary value of the quilt, which can be either considerable, or nonexistent. At any rate, it seems like quilters, as a whole, aren't particularly fond of quilting. If they can afford it, it seems like a lot of quilters actually send out their tops to be professionally quilted. I, on the other hand, can't afford that, and I don't have the room to let my quilt tops languish (plus, lets face it, Ma would get a bit cranky if I started leaving unfinished quilt tops lying around. She's tolerated a partially finished one for a while, and I don't want to push things any further.). Initially I was going to machine quilt. I learned to actually quilt on a machine, and its plenty easy, if: 1) your quilt is small, as in placemat sized, 2) you only quilt in straight lines, and 3) you're using thin fabric and thin batting. But this is a pretty good-sized quilt: slightly smaller than twin-size, but absolutely bigger than a breadbasket, so after a few swipes with the machine I got annoyed and am now hand-quilting. It'll take much, much longer, but I'll curse at the Singer corporation less. I'm sure they're greatful. And, as a reward for reading my babble, here's a detail shot:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude that is a pretty sweet lookin quilt!!! I want learn how you make a quilt!